Compare and contrast the following monuments and objects. If it is a painting, or mosaic make sure to use your visual analysis skills.
What is a visual analysis?
It is a description of the “formal” aspects of an object of art. When looking at an object of art, consider the following:
• The function of the object or use
• Provenance (location it is from)
• The object’s date (if available)
• Decorative motifs
• Calligraphy (style of the script)
• Details of the object: is it an architectural piece (floor mosaic, wooden beam, or a column, or maybe a form of soft architecture (tent, wall covering, tomb cover)? Does it depict geometric motifs or vegetal or floral or calligraphic motifs? If it is a calligraphic folio: Is it on parchment or paper? How many lines of text are on the folio? Is there vocalizations or diacritics?
• If it is a painting: observe if it is a realistic or naturalistic depiction of the subject? Is there linear perspective? Is it an accurate depiction of a space?
• Observe if there are figures: are they positioned in a frontal or profile view, If there is a ruler is he/she flanked by other people, and observe the clothes of the people/ robes Once, the objects have been described then create an analysis about them. Compare and contrast the two objects or monuments- each pair of objects follows a particular theme. What is the theme that links the objects or monuments in a particular pair? And how are they related? How are they not related and are different? These are a few questions you should consider when writing your paper. Writing the paper: Once you have chosen a pair of objects, and after you have taken the time to observe and write down all the formal aspects of an object, then put them into essay form. Compare and contrast the objects. Pretend your reader has never seen these two objects before, and you are writing this up for a magazine or a museum catalog. This is an analysis. Make sure your paper has an introduction, a middle, and conclusion. The paper should be 2-3 pages.
Art Dr. Yasmine Al Saleh, Spring 2021
RESPONSE PAPER ONE DUE MARCH 14 ON MOODLE AND EMAIL FORM:
FOUR OPTIONS CHOOSE ONE
Umayyad Religious Architecture- Cross cultural themes with Roman and Byzantine world With the foundation of Islam there are two important monuments from the Umayyad Dynasty Dome of the Rock and the Great Mosque of Damascus – make sure to discuss the patron of these monuments, the mosaics and the cross-cultural themes with the Byzantine Empire. Why is the Dome of the Rock important to Muslims? And what about the Great Mosque of Damascus is important? Please make sure to note what that space was before it was converted to a mosque?
• https://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/listings/2012/byzantium-and-islam/blog/wherein-the world/posts/dome-of-the-rock
• Video: http://archive.aramcoworld.com/issue/200901/al-haram/default.htm (Virtual Tour- take the tour of Dome of the Rock)
• https://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/listings/2012/byzantium-and-islam/blog/wherein-the world/posts/damascus
• http://archnet.org/sites/31 (Great Mosque of Damascus – Jami’ al-Umawi al-Kabir )
Umayyad Palace Architecture- Cross-cultural themes with pre-Islamic Greco-Roman and Sassanian world. Examine the two palaces and compare and contrast how pre-Islamic empires influenced their architecture. Remember to define a fresco. Qusayr Amra, al-Walid I, (712-715 CE)
• https://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/listings/2012/byzantium-andislam/blog/where-in-the world/posts/qusayr-amra
• Qusayr Amra is a world heritage site: https://www.wmf.org/project/qusayr-amra Qasr Al-Hayr West is dated to Rajab 109 AH/November 727 CE
• Floor fresco Qasr Al-Hayr West Gaea and Marine Centaurs
• Floor painting at Qasr Al-Hayr West http://islamicart.museumwnf.org/database_item.php?id=object;ISL;sy;Mus01;2;en
• Sassanian plate: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/322973 Dr. Yasmine Al Saleh, Spring 2021
Religious architecture of the Abbasids- with the Abbasid a new style of a mosque and religious architecture was developed. Compare and contrast the two mosques- define the two minarets and their size? The minaret of Samarra is clearly a model of a pre-Islamic Mesopotamia; and then the minaret of Ibn Tulun in Cairo is a referencing Samarra.
Great Mosque of Samarra
New type of congregational mosque built by al-Mutawakkil (r.847-61 CE)
Largest mosque known in the Islamic lands – what does this say about the Abbasids?
• Samarra (OxfordArtOnline)
• al-Mustasim (son of Harun al-Rashid)
• Samarra stucco style: http://web.mit.edu/4.614/www/stuccodecoration.html Ibn Tulun Mosque (265 AH/879 CE)
Inspired by Samarra
• Ibn Tulun mosque
• Ahmed ibn Tulun
Cross cultural objects- Christian communities and their influence. In these two objects it is clear that the Christian communities are influenced by an Islamic style, two different objects, but there is the theme of cross-cultural influence. Please describe each object and then compare and contrast how they represent both the Islamic and Christian communities.
Coptic lustre bowl
• Lustre: https://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/research/lustreware
• Bowl (http://metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/63.178.1/)
• Bowl with Coptic priest (http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O76461/bowl-unknown/)
Coronation robe of Roger II- made in Palermo 1133-4 CE
https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/art-islam/islamic-art-medieval/v/coronationmantle-new. For more information on Visual Analysis Skills see this: https://www.encyclopedia.com/medicine/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/communication-skills
Why Choose Us
ACME Homework provides the best top-grade academic writing services in compliance with our customers’ instructions. Have your paper written by a certified professional online college homework help writer to produce only high-quality essays with zero plagiarism.
Professional Academic Writers
You can now choose from a pool of online college homework help writers. Choose your writer and have them write the best content for you. ACME Homework has, over the years, secured a team of the most reliable, experienced, and qualified writers. You can, therefore, trust that your assignment is in good hands.
We know that students have very limited budgets. And for that, we always strive to provide only the best, most affordable online college homework help services to our customers. Our goal is to provide top-quality assignment help services to all customers at the lowest, most affordable prices.
At Acmehomework.com, we pay strict attention to deadlines. We recommend you to check out clients’ reviews for assurance that we will complete your assignments within the set deadlines. You can, therefore, trust that your paper will be done within and before the set deadline. Until now, we have not missed a single deadline.
Our Acmehomework.com homework helper experts write only 100% original and plagiarism-free content for all of our clients. We also have a Quality Assurance Department team that goes through all work submitted by our writers multiple times. You can, therefore, rest assured that any signs of plagiarized or unoriginal content will be rejected before it reaches your portal.
Customer Support 24/7
Acmehomework.com expert writers are always available 24/7 for customers who need assistance with using our website. You don’t have to check your watch the next time you want to have your assignment written. Our customer support is always available round the clock and ready to listen to your queries. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: email@example.com.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
For years now, Acmehomework.com has stood as a leader in providing its customers with the best online college homework help service in the industry. And all you have to do is provide us with the details of your order. Leave everything else to us. We’ve always got you covered.
Since we launched, Acmehomework.com deserved the best online “college homework help status” thanks to our essay ordering, writing, and delivery process. We deliver nothing but excellence in our results. Our essay writing services include impeccable grammar, zero-plagiarism, proper structure, and conformance to guidelines.
Admission and Business Papers
Our top-quality online college homework help services guarantee that you will be accepted into your desired university. You just need to fill out your admission and business papers, and our team of online homework help workers will handle the rest. We will help you achieve and secure the best positions in your admissions forms.
Editing and Proofreading
At Acmehomework.com, we have a skilled writing and editing team that’s dedicated to creating, editing, and restructuring for all types of papers. Our online college homework help editing and proofreading team will check, paraphrase, and correct any grammar mistakes on your paper before submitting the final document to you.
At Acmehomework.com, we pride ourselves in having writers in almost all fields, even the most technical ones. You never have to worry about your paper being too technical for our certified online college homework help writers to handle. ACME Homework’s team of writers can handle even the most complex writers. We will match your paper to the most competent writer that we believe will handle your paper the best way possible.