Option #1: Codification to Research a Complex Accounting Issue: The Case of Goodwill Impairment at Jackson Enterprises
Note: For this Portfolio Project, please check with your instructor for instructions, including the user name and password, which CSU-Global pays for and provides for access to the FASB Accounting Standards Codification (ASC) which you will need.
Note: The two-step impairment test was US GAAP at December 31, 2014, which is the key date for this case study. The FASB has since issued Accounting Standards Update (ASU) 2017-04, which eliminate Step 2 of the impairment test. However, for answer the requirements of this case study below, please perform the two-step impairment text which was US GAAP at December 31, 2014. For your information, today, the quantitative impairment test now includes only one step, which is the comparison of the carrying value to the fair market value of the reporting unit, with the difference representing the recognized goodwill impairment. While the quantitative aspect of the test has changed under ASU 2017-04, the FASB did not remove the preliminary, qualitative assessment option to determine the appropriateness of the quantitative test.
Read the Case of Goodwill Impairment at Jackson Enterprises (link below). After reading the case study, answer the questions provided.
Financial reporting personnel at Jackson Enterprises (JE) are in the process of completing year-end activities, including necessary adjusting of entries to the consolidated financial statements. While JE has not previously believed it necessary to adjust its recognized goodwill from the Dynamic and ZD acquisitions, the valuation of goodwill is, nonetheless, a prominent concern in the closing process. Assume you are asked to research the financial statement issues surrounding the goodwill recorded for the Dynamic and ZD subsidiaries.
Prepare a paper to address the questions below. In memorandum format, detail the issues involved, the judgements you made based on authoritative literature, and your recommendations for the direction of the goodwill valuation as it relates to Dynamic and ZA. In other words, does the evidence suggest further action is required in determining the appropriate valuation of good will? If so, what steps need to be taken?
Note: Remember that textbooks are not considered authoritative guidance in accounting research.
1. Identify and cite the relevant topics/subtopics from the FASB Accounting Standards Codification for this case.
1. Identify the specific accounting issue that you believe needs to be initially addressed for JE’s consideration of goodwill regarding both Dynamic and ZD.
2. What does the qualitative evidence from the case indicate about whether JE should perform the two-step impairment test? In your response, identify specific factors discussed in the Codification and relate them to the information provided to you in the case.
3. Beyond the assessment of qualitative factors, what other evidence should be considered for the purpose of the analysis? What does this information suggest? For Dynamic, what do you think is the most appropriate fair value amount to use in assessing the fair value of this reporting unit? Explain. Why is this important?
4. Based upon the information provided above, should Dynamic and ZD be combined or separated for the purposes of the goodwill analysis? Explain. Why is this important?
5. Based upon your initial analysis, do you think the $200 million goodwill balance (i.e., the $150 million for Dynamic and the $50 million for ZD) is the appropriate valuation for goodwill on the December 31, 2014 balance sheet of JE?
• Be sure to discuss and reference concepts taken from the Required and Recommended Readings throughout the course, and from your own relevant research.
• Include a cover sheet and reference page.
Your paper should be a minimum of nine pages in length, not including a cover sheet and reference page. Submissions in excess of nine pages in length are acceptable.
• Either submit a separate Excel file to support your findings or include exhibits as part of your paper.
• Include a minimum of six credible, academic, or professional references beyond the course text, Required and Recommended Readings, or other course materials.
• Format according to the CSU-Global Guide to Writing & APA (Links to an external site.).
Review the grading rubric to see how you will be graded for this assignment.
Why Choose Us
ACME Homework provides the best top-grade academic writing services in compliance with our customers’ instructions. Have your paper written by a certified professional online college homework help writer to produce only high-quality essays with zero plagiarism.
Professional Academic Writers
You can now choose from a pool of online college homework help writers. Choose your writer and have them write the best content for you. ACME Homework has, over the years, secured a team of the most reliable, experienced, and qualified writers. You can, therefore, trust that your assignment is in good hands.
We know that students have very limited budgets. And for that, we always strive to provide only the best, most affordable online college homework help services to our customers. Our goal is to provide top-quality assignment help services to all customers at the lowest, most affordable prices.
At Acmehomework.com, we pay strict attention to deadlines. We recommend you to check out clients’ reviews for assurance that we will complete your assignments within the set deadlines. You can, therefore, trust that your paper will be done within and before the set deadline. Until now, we have not missed a single deadline.
Our Acmehomework.com homework helper experts write only 100% original and plagiarism-free content for all of our clients. We also have a Quality Assurance Department team that goes through all work submitted by our writers multiple times. You can, therefore, rest assured that any signs of plagiarized or unoriginal content will be rejected before it reaches your portal.
Customer Support 24/7
Acmehomework.com expert writers are always available 24/7 for customers who need assistance with using our website. You don’t have to check your watch the next time you want to have your assignment written. Our customer support is always available round the clock and ready to listen to your queries. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: email@example.com.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
For years now, Acmehomework.com has stood as a leader in providing its customers with the best online college homework help service in the industry. And all you have to do is provide us with the details of your order. Leave everything else to us. We’ve always got you covered.
Since we launched, Acmehomework.com deserved the best online “college homework help status” thanks to our essay ordering, writing, and delivery process. We deliver nothing but excellence in our results. Our essay writing services include impeccable grammar, zero-plagiarism, proper structure, and conformance to guidelines.
Admission and Business Papers
Our top-quality online college homework help services guarantee that you will be accepted into your desired university. You just need to fill out your admission and business papers, and our team of online homework help workers will handle the rest. We will help you achieve and secure the best positions in your admissions forms.
Editing and Proofreading
At Acmehomework.com, we have a skilled writing and editing team that’s dedicated to creating, editing, and restructuring for all types of papers. Our online college homework help editing and proofreading team will check, paraphrase, and correct any grammar mistakes on your paper before submitting the final document to you.
At Acmehomework.com, we pride ourselves in having writers in almost all fields, even the most technical ones. You never have to worry about your paper being too technical for our certified online college homework help writers to handle. ACME Homework’s team of writers can handle even the most complex writers. We will match your paper to the most competent writer that we believe will handle your paper the best way possible.