English 101 Essay Assignment: Summary/Response
Task: Briefly summarize and then write your own response to one of the essays we have read in this class. The essays to choose from are “Love without Limits,” by Roxanne Gay, “Kitchen Controversial,” by Rebecca Traister, or “Boy’s Life,” by Bill Bryson.
Purpose: To let readers know what you think about an essay you have read. Your response should develop some ideas about the essay that other readers may not have thought about. You can do one or more of the following:
• agree or disagree with what the author says
• connect the author’s ideas to your life experience or to something else you have read or learned
• respond to the author’s style of writing and how it makes the article more or less effective
The summary and other brief references to the article should make up about 25% of your essay, and your own ideas should make up about 75% of your essay.
Length and Format: The essay should be about 3 pages long, with 1” margins and 12 point font.
You will use informal documentation. In your paper, you will introduce the author and title of the article. Example: In “Chronicles of Ice,” Gretel Ehrlich explains why we should care about glaciers.” Once you have introduced the author and title, you will refer back to the essay by using the author’s last name. Examples: Ehrlich believes; Like Ehrlich, I think; etc.
There is a good explanation outline and example of a summary/response paper here: https://letterpile.com/writing/Response-Essay-Example
• Copying the exact words from a source without using quotation marks (even if you change a few words here and there) is plagiarism. When you refer to the article you are responding to, be sure to rephrase the ideas in your own words.
• There is no reason to use any web sites or articles other than the article you are responding to. The idea is to develop your own ideas about the article. Using other sources such as articles, web sites, or discussion forums without citing them is plagiarism.
Criteria for Evaluation: Summary and Response Essay (English 101)
• The essay accurately summarizes an assigned article and develops an insightful, detailed, and engaging response.
• Ideas are ordered in a pattern that supports the purpose of the essay, and paragraphs are fully developed and supported with ample specific details.
• The essay is about 3 pages long, double-spaced, with 1” margins and 12 point font.
• Sentences and words convey a tone that engages the reader’s interest, respects opposing views, and supports the purpose of the essay. The essay is written in Standard English, with no more than one error per page.
• The essay summarizes an assigned article, and develops a somewhat insightful response.
• Ideas are ordered in a pattern that mostly supports the purpose of the essay, and paragraphs are fairly well developed and supported with specific details.
• The essay is about 3 pages long, double-spaced, with 1” margins and 12 point font.
• Sentences and words usually convey a tone that engages the reader’s interest, respects opposing views, and supports the purpose of the essay. The essay is written in Standard English, with no more than two errors per page.
• The essay summarizes an assigned article and responds to it, but the summary may not be accurate and complete and the response may be somewhat underdeveloped or inconsistent.
• Ideas are ordered in a way that is fairly easy to follow, but there may be some repetition or some ideas may be out of order. Paragraphs are developed and supported with some details, but they may be few or not very specific or not well-connected.
• The essay may not exactly follow the length and format requirements.
• The tone is mostly appropriate to the purpose, but several sentences may be simplistic, bland, or disrespectful of other views. The essay is written in Standard English, with no more than four errors per page.
• The essay may only partially summarize and respond to an assigned article.
• Ideas may be hard to follow, or there may be a lot of repetition or several ideas out of order. Paragraphs may contain very few specific details.
• Many sentences may be simplistic, bland, or disrespectful of other views. The essay is written in Standard English, with no more than four errors per page.
• The essay may not summarize and respond to an assigned article.
• Ideas may be very hard to follow, or paragraphs may very short or not coherent.
• The essay may be very short, less than 2 full double-spaced pages.
• Sentences may be confusing and hard to follow.
• There may be more than four errors per page. For more information on Summarizing an Essay see this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summary
Why Choose Us
ACME Homework provides the best top-grade academic writing services in compliance with our customers’ instructions. Have your paper written by a certified professional online college homework help writer to produce only high-quality essays with zero plagiarism.
Professional Academic Writers
You can now choose from a pool of online college homework help writers. Choose your writer and have them write the best content for you. ACME Homework has, over the years, secured a team of the most reliable, experienced, and qualified writers. You can, therefore, trust that your assignment is in good hands.
We know that students have very limited budgets. And for that, we always strive to provide only the best, most affordable online college homework help services to our customers. Our goal is to provide top-quality assignment help services to all customers at the lowest, most affordable prices.
At Acmehomework.com, we pay strict attention to deadlines. We recommend you to check out clients’ reviews for assurance that we will complete your assignments within the set deadlines. You can, therefore, trust that your paper will be done within and before the set deadline. Until now, we have not missed a single deadline.
Our Acmehomework.com homework helper experts write only 100% original and plagiarism-free content for all of our clients. We also have a Quality Assurance Department team that goes through all work submitted by our writers multiple times. You can, therefore, rest assured that any signs of plagiarized or unoriginal content will be rejected before it reaches your portal.
Customer Support 24/7
Acmehomework.com expert writers are always available 24/7 for customers who need assistance with using our website. You don’t have to check your watch the next time you want to have your assignment written. Our customer support is always available round the clock and ready to listen to your queries. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: email@example.com.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
For years now, Acmehomework.com has stood as a leader in providing its customers with the best online college homework help service in the industry. And all you have to do is provide us with the details of your order. Leave everything else to us. We’ve always got you covered.
Since we launched, Acmehomework.com deserved the best online “college homework help status” thanks to our essay ordering, writing, and delivery process. We deliver nothing but excellence in our results. Our essay writing services include impeccable grammar, zero-plagiarism, proper structure, and conformance to guidelines.
Admission and Business Papers
Our top-quality online college homework help services guarantee that you will be accepted into your desired university. You just need to fill out your admission and business papers, and our team of online homework help workers will handle the rest. We will help you achieve and secure the best positions in your admissions forms.
Editing and Proofreading
At Acmehomework.com, we have a skilled writing and editing team that’s dedicated to creating, editing, and restructuring for all types of papers. Our online college homework help editing and proofreading team will check, paraphrase, and correct any grammar mistakes on your paper before submitting the final document to you.
At Acmehomework.com, we pride ourselves in having writers in almost all fields, even the most technical ones. You never have to worry about your paper being too technical for our certified online college homework help writers to handle. ACME Homework’s team of writers can handle even the most complex writers. We will match your paper to the most competent writer that we believe will handle your paper the best way possible.