Write a 1 to 1.5 page (500-750 words) essay on sensation, perception, and cultural differences. Use your textbook and at least two other sources to find information.
Use the online library and Google Scholar for reliable sources.
Structure your paper as follows:
1. Intro paragraph (5 points) – provide overview of the information you will cover, including the following.
a. State your thesis (main idea) about the relationship between sensation and perception and how cultural differences may affect them.
b. Identify the three main points you will cover in the body paragraphs.
2. Body paragraphs (15 points) – detailed description of each of the following as they relate to your thesis.
a. Sensation and perception:
• Define both terms and their relationship to one another.
• Explain absolute threshold, desensitization, and signal detection theory.
b. Gestalt psychology
• Describe how Gestalt psychologists explain perception. Include an explanation of the laws of perceptual grouping.
c. Cultural differences
• Look at an example of differences in perception. What are some cultural differences that may have caused the two groups described to interpret this picture differently?
• Describe how a person growing up in one culture (e.g. United States versus another country) might perceive something differently from a person who grew up elsewhere.
o Identify a specific situation as an example; such as an interaction between a man and woman, how an older adult might perceive a group of teens, an adult’s reaction to a baby on an airplane.
3. Summary (3 points)
a. Restate your thesis and provide a conclusion about your main points.
4. References page (3 points)
a. Provide a list of references; must include author, title, publication title, publication year, and source or retrieval information.