You now need to select an existing brand the brand I choose is Ben and Jerry and develop an idea for a new brand extension e.g. Dove toothpaste. This is partly a creative exercise, but it must be based on thorough research into:
1. The current values of the brand being extended
2. The potential target market for the brand extension.
This will involve academic research, secondary research and competitor research in store. It may also involve small scale primary research to establish whether your new brand extension finds acceptance with your chosen target market. However, for this assignment, marks will be awarded for the results of the primary research, not a full description of the process of carrying it out.
Conducting the Research
1. Academic Reading
You need to ensure that you have read, at the very least, chapters 6, 9 and 10 in Brassington and Pettitt’s “Essentials of Marketing” and the BB source materials available on Kapferer’s Brand Identity Prism.
Also use WARC to find articles on (or related to) the topic of brand extensions – for example
• WARC June 2016 :How to extend a brand
• WARC News 23 January 2013 “Brand extensions favoured by shoppers”
• WARC Case Study :John Lewis Insurance: The power of true brand extension marketing, IPA Effectiveness Awards, 2016
• D. Aaker (1990) Brand Extensions: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
2. Secondary Research
You will need to make reference to appropriate Mintel reports as well as the company’s website and press articles about the existing brands. You should also try to find information about the brand’s values and existing target market. Additionally you will need to research current issues in the marketing environment (PESTEL analysis) that potentially could impact on your new product introduction.
3. Competitor Research
You will need to look at the existing products in the new suggested market to ensure that your new brand could compete effectively (e.g. with Dove toothpaste you will need to consider Colgate and Aquafresh)
10 minute Presentation
A 10-minute PowerPoint presentation with an additional 5 minute Q &A session.
The presentation needs to cover the following points
• Background on the chosen brand include useful data such as market share, market size and trends in sales.
• Coverage of the existing brand values supported with use of visual examples.eg advertising campaigns, company’s web site, sponsorship activities etc.
• A brief explanation of the new product with reference to what growth strategy the brand is adopting. (Ansoff).
• Clear identification of the proposed target market for the new brand extension ( include any primary data results if undertaken)
• Any key trends and PESTEL issues that have influenced your choice of brand extension idea.
• A comparative analysis of your suggested brand extension with any key competition identified in the new market sector.
• A Visual Image of the Brand Extension showing brand name, packaging design and logo. You also need to consider how your brand extension will be distinct from competing products.
Writing the Report
The report is a supporting document to the materials presented above and you need to include a sound academic framework to the discussion.
We suggest that you adhere to the following headings for your reports:
THIS IS WRITTEN LAST (because it is a summary of your research) BUT IT APPEARS FIRST (even before the contents page), in order to catch the attention of the reader and encourage them to read further. It should cover in one page or less:
• The aims of the report,
• The methods of research,
• The results (top-line summary only)
Contents Page (Use the feature in Word to do this automatically)
This should be quite brief. It should include the aims of the report and some background on the chosen brand. Include useful data such as market share, market size and trends in sales, which you can find from the most recent Mintel reports and in the trade press
A simple statement of how the research was carried out. This is particularly important in terms of competitor research, observational research, or primary research if you included it. Ideally you should critique whether your data is sufficient to justify your conclusions.
It is suggested that you use sub-headings to make your report easier to follow. You could adopt the following headings:
• Existing brand and Brand Values -coverage to include key academic definitions explaining what is a brand, the concept of a brand extension and a detailed examination of one academic model on branding.(i.e.Kapferer’s Brand Identity Prism).
• Description of the Target Market – a detailed description of the TA for the new brand extension supported by reference to secondary sources e.g. Mintel and TGI supported by academic coverage of STP marketing planning process.
• Analysis of the New Market, Including Trends ¬¬– PESTLE analysis and Ansoff’s Grid
• An Explanation of the New Product (Tauber’s Brand Extension Options, product packaging, the choice of a brand name and brand positioning)
• Competition – a comparative analysis of your suggested brand extension with any competition identified in the new market sector (this should be tabulated)
You should try to put relevant raw data in the appendices and just include a summary in the body of the report. Every time you state a fact e.g. market size, price data, sales etc. you must provide a referenced source for that fact (both in the text and in the reference list). All tables and graphs should have the source written directly underneath.
This is where you provide some element of evaluation of your research findings. Do you think your brand extension will be successful? Why/Why not?
This should be listed alphabetically by Surname and should follow the rules of Harvard Referencing perfectly
Use the appendices to display any raw research data, such as pricing data.
A group log of individual contribution to the task must also be included.
• You may not write in first person – using I, me or my.
• Your report should be written in a formal business-like manner.
You may include tables and photographs in the body of the report, but they must all include the source (below and to the right) and title (to the left and above).
Professional homework help features
Our ExperienceHowever the complexity of your assignment, we have the right professionals to carry out your specific task. ACME homework is a company that does homework help writing services for students who need homework help. We only hire super-skilled academic experts to write your projects. Our years of experience allows us to provide students with homework writing, editing & proofreading services.
Free revision policy$10
Free bibliography & reference$8
Free title page$8
How our professional homework help writing services work
You first have to fill in an order form. In case you need any clarifications regarding the form, feel free to reach out for further guidance. To fill in the form, include basic informaion regarding your order that is topic, subject, number of pages required as well as any other relevant information that will be of help.Complete the order form
Once we have all the information and instructions that we need, we select the most suitable writer for your assignment. While everything seems to be clear, the writer, who has complete knowledge of the subject, may need clarification from you. It is at that point that you would receive a call or email from us.Writer’s assignment
As soon as the writer has finished, it will be delivered both to the website and to your email address so that you will not miss it. If your deadline is close at hand, we will place a call to you to make sure that you receive the paper on time.Completing the order and download