The author is Nikki Giovanni
Formal Essay 2 – Poetry Research Paper (1200 words min.)
There is a rubric attached to this assignment. If you’d like, you may view it.
Notice the due date above. Your paper is an analysis of a poet’s writing style or an analysis of similarities that you find in the poems. You will be focusing on the author you chose for the poetry discussion board assignment. Most of the work from your paper will come from your actual analysis of the poems. You will use critical analysis to help prove your points. You are doing the research, using poems, which are your primary sources, and finding critical analysis, which are considered secondary sources. The first step is to gather poems and critical analysis on these poems. Then you will read through them and highlight key items that stand out. You’re free to use the points of analysis in week 10’s discussion board assignment. From there you will be able to construct a thesis statement.
Develop a thesis about your poet’s work by looking at the poems and comparing style, devices, subject matter, or themes. Sample thesis statements are listed below. (These are ONLY examples. You must write about the author you chose for the discussion board assignment.)
– Frost uses the idea of opposites to show how the seemingly simplistic and compelling images of nature represent a deeper meaning about human experiences.
– Gwendolyn Brooks’ simple diction and style help her characters’ perceptions of themselves and illustrate people’s common everyday experiences.
– In his poems, Langston Hughes uses simple yet vivid imagery to express his views of the African-American world and the discrimination against his fellow people.
Once you have developed your thesis, you can continue to research and take notes on the sources you locate.
Requirements for Paper
– 1200 words, Typed/double-spaced, 12 point Times New Roman font using MLA 8 formatting
– Quotations from 3+ secondary sources (criticism) and 2+ primary sources (poems) incorporated into your paper. NO HOMEWORK SITES!!! See CLASS RULES under Preliminary Handouts.
– MLA 8 Works Cited page that lists all sources used in your paper
– Parenthetical documentation of secondary source material (incorporating secondary sources).
– Quotes from poems that support your major points.
Poetry Research Paper Reminders
– Review CLASS RULES under Preliminary Handouts.
– Your paper should be about the style of your poet. Combine your own thoughts about the selected poems with the ideas you found in the criticism you researched. Your thesis statement should define the style and make an assertion that you can defend using your critical analysis.
– Look for similarities in the poems you chose. Are there any prevalent themes? Figurative language? Symbolism? Sound devices? What do these devices or components help the poet achieve? Why are they important?
– You should use either directly quote, paraphrase, or summarize material from at least THREE pieces of criticism. Be sure to properly document your sources so that you are not plagiarizing. USE MORE OF YOUR OWN ANALYSIS THAN INFORMATION FROM THE CRITICISM. Do not just string together quotations.
– Remember that you must effectively integrate quotations into your paper instead of just dumping them into your work. Be sure to explain quotations and relate the information to your thesis.
– When you do quote, quote accurately. DO NOT BEGIN OR END A PARAGRAPH WITH A QUOTATION.
Purdue OWL : Writing About Poetry / Purdue OWL: MLA Formatting Quotations / Citing Poetry in MLA 8
Must use these poems as 2 as primary sources for works cited. You Came Too By Nikki Giovanni (https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/you-came-too-2/) and Cotton Candy on a Rainy Day by Nikki Giovanni (https://voetica.com/voetica.php?collection=2&poet=658&poem=6770)
You will be required to incorporate research and quotations from 3+ secondary sources. A secondary source is any source that ISN’T one of the poems. Your secondary sources may be related to the author’s background, criticism of the author’s work, or any research dealing with themes or ideas expressed in the poems.
Professional homework help features
Our ExperienceHowever the complexity of your assignment, we have the right professionals to carry out your specific task. ACME homework is a company that does homework help writing services for students who need homework help. We only hire super-skilled academic experts to write your projects. Our years of experience allows us to provide students with homework writing, editing & proofreading services.
Free revision policy$10
Free bibliography & reference$8
Free title page$8
How our professional homework help writing services work
You first have to fill in an order form. In case you need any clarifications regarding the form, feel free to reach out for further guidance. To fill in the form, include basic informaion regarding your order that is topic, subject, number of pages required as well as any other relevant information that will be of help.Complete the order form
Once we have all the information and instructions that we need, we select the most suitable writer for your assignment. While everything seems to be clear, the writer, who has complete knowledge of the subject, may need clarification from you. It is at that point that you would receive a call or email from us.Writer’s assignment
As soon as the writer has finished, it will be delivered both to the website and to your email address so that you will not miss it. If your deadline is close at hand, we will place a call to you to make sure that you receive the paper on time.Completing the order and download