Read the following selections from Norton Anthology of Literature Volume B:
– William Cullen Bryant, pp. 121-129 (8th ed.); 116-124 (9th ed.)
– Jane Johnston Schoolcraft, pp. 160-167 (8th ed.); 140-147 (9th ed.)
– Lydia Maria Child, pp. 180-199 (8th ed.); 147-166 (9th ed.)
– Ralph Waldo Emerson, pp. 211-227; 269-294 (8th ed.); 178-194; 236-253 (9th ed.)
This assignment will be submitted to Turnitin®.
Answer five of the six following questions, using quotes from the above listed readings for support.
William Cullen Bryant
1. What happens if you imagine yourself out of present-day and pretend you’re one of Bryant’s original readers, just listening to the language in his lyrics and not worrying about analyzing his poetry for a literature class. How is his poetry like art? (Hint: Listen to classical pieces by Beethoven and Schubert and look up landscape paintings by Thomas Cole to get a feeling for Bryant’s contemporaries.) After listening to and looking at other forms of art during this time period, how does Bryant’s poetry seem an appropriate fit? Does it seem like all forms (poetry, paintings, and music) come together to elicit a certain feeling in their audience?
2. Bryant’s short poem to Thomas Cole, departing for Europe, is a valedictory but also an admonition. Bryant is worried about something, but what is it, and how does that concern help us to understand other works by this poet?
Jane Johnston Schoolcraft
3. Because elegies can provide insight into the values and voices of a poet, compare “Sweet Willy” to Bradstreet’s elegies to her grandchildren (see Volume A for those poems). “Sweet Willy” was written more than eight years after Schoolcraft’s first elegy on the death of her son, but what differences do you notice, not only in mood, but also in allusion? Would you know that this poem was written by a Native American woman? What are the clues you’re responding to? Though Schoolcraft probably never knew Bradstreet’s elegies, do you see similarities in purpose here with regard to the implicit responsibilities of the elegist and the ways in which those duties are met or resisted?
Lydia Maria Child
4. In Letter XIV, Child offers an account of two immigrant burial grounds. Read from “Following the railroad, which lay far beneath our feet” down to the end of the letter, and describe her purposes in describing and contrasting these two visits.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
5. “Self-Reliance” can be viewed as a declaration of intellectual freedom, but it can also be troublesome when trying to interpret his written work. How does the following passage (below) complicate your understanding of Emerson’s philosophy? How can we truly understand an essayist who might mean what he says only “today”?
“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Out upon your guarded lips! Sew them up with packthread, do. Else, if you would be a man, speak what you think today in words as hard as cannon balls, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. Ah, then, exclaim the aged ladies, you shall be sure to be misunderstood. Misunderstood! It is a right fool’s word. Is it so bad then to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.”
6. Jefferson provides us with a declaration of political independence; Franklin affirms our independence from any single dogma or body of systematic thought, exhorting us to make our own systems–preferably on the model of his own. If we try reading Emerson as a declaration of complete intellectual independence, then in what spirit should we read Emerson–or anybody else who offers wisdom or values? In other words, is rebellion against Emerson himself, moment to moment or overall, a supremely Emersonian act? For more information on Norton Anthology of Literature checkout this: https://www.britannica.com/topic/The-Norton-Anthology-of-English-Literature
Why Choose Us
ACME Homework provides the best top-grade academic writing services in compliance with our customers’ instructions. Have your paper written by a certified professional online college homework help writer to produce only high-quality essays with zero plagiarism.
Professional Academic Writers
You can now choose from a pool of online college homework help writers. Choose your writer and have them write the best content for you. ACME Homework has, over the years, secured a team of the most reliable, experienced, and qualified writers. You can, therefore, trust that your assignment is in good hands.
We know that students have very limited budgets. And for that, we always strive to provide only the best, most affordable online college homework help services to our customers. Our goal is to provide top-quality assignment help services to all customers at the lowest, most affordable prices.
At Acmehomework.com, we pay strict attention to deadlines. We recommend you to check out clients’ reviews for assurance that we will complete your assignments within the set deadlines. You can, therefore, trust that your paper will be done within and before the set deadline. Until now, we have not missed a single deadline.
Our Acmehomework.com homework helper experts write only 100% original and plagiarism-free content for all of our clients. We also have a Quality Assurance Department team that goes through all work submitted by our writers multiple times. You can, therefore, rest assured that any signs of plagiarized or unoriginal content will be rejected before it reaches your portal.
Customer Support 24/7
Acmehomework.com expert writers are always available 24/7 for customers who need assistance with using our website. You don’t have to check your watch the next time you want to have your assignment written. Our customer support is always available round the clock and ready to listen to your queries. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
For years now, Acmehomework.com has stood as a leader in providing its customers with the best online college homework help service in the industry. And all you have to do is provide us with the details of your order. Leave everything else to us. We’ve always got you covered.
Since we launched, Acmehomework.com deserved the best online “college homework help status” thanks to our essay ordering, writing, and delivery process. We deliver nothing but excellence in our results. Our essay writing services include impeccable grammar, zero-plagiarism, proper structure, and conformance to guidelines.
Admission and Business Papers
Our top-quality online college homework help services guarantee that you will be accepted into your desired university. You just need to fill out your admission and business papers, and our team of online homework help workers will handle the rest. We will help you achieve and secure the best positions in your admissions forms.
Editing and Proofreading
At Acmehomework.com, we have a skilled writing and editing team that’s dedicated to creating, editing, and restructuring for all types of papers. Our online college homework help editing and proofreading team will check, paraphrase, and correct any grammar mistakes on your paper before submitting the final document to you.
At Acmehomework.com, we pride ourselves in having writers in almost all fields, even the most technical ones. You never have to worry about your paper being too technical for our certified online college homework help writers to handle. ACME Homework’s team of writers can handle even the most complex writers. We will match your paper to the most competent writer that we believe will handle your paper the best way possible.