Contact me if any questions.
DISCUSSION BOARD # 2. THE DISTRIBUTION OF INCOME IN THE USA
While much of the discussion that takes place about economic issues is somewhat theoretical and abstract, when the conversation turns to money and individual income, it suddenly becomes much more personal. This all begins at a very early age when we realize that money can bring the things that we want.
Most of our experience with money is very much at the micro level. We see what we earn and we also see what it will buy. It is not a common thing to think much about the broader questions at the macro level. How is income really distributed in this country? How does our tax policy influence that distribution? Even more importantly, is this a question that we should worry much about or does the free market always allocate income and wealth in an efficient manner? If you think back to Unit 1, the free-market view is that those who are more efficient and inventive will be rewarded with more income. Of course, it was also assumed that perfect competition existed and markets could not be influenced in any way by vested interests.
During the semester, we are looking at two major macroeconomic problems that currently exist—instability (and debt), which we deal with using fiscal and monetary policy (unit 3)—and the distribution of income and wealth. The latter is more abstract but is contributing to a number of problems—even instability.
I would ask you to consider these questions. The same guidelines that we have used for the other discussion boards will apply. Again, I am asking for your opinion informed by the attached information as well as your own research.
QUESTIONS: (discuss these fully)
1. What does “progressive taxation” mean? What is your opinion about the role of government regarding taxation? Should we worry about taxes that have a regressive effect on the taxpayer?
2. If you agree with the idea of progressive taxation, how progressive should the rate be. In some European countries, the rate on the super-rich is as much as 90%.
3. As a society, should we worry about the distribution or income or simply allow market forces to make that determination. What do you think would happen if there was no attempt to influence the distribution of income and wealth…would the distribution: stay the same…become less concentrated…become more concentrated in the hands of fewer people?
4. We hear many politicians suggesting that lowering taxes will always increase economic growth, create more jobs and ultimately mean more tax revenue. Is this true?
5. Does “trickle-down economics” really work? If we allow those at the top of the income ladder to make more and more, does that trickle down to those at lower income levels and increase the number of jobs?
6. Regarding the recent changes in tax law…what is your opinion. Will these changes be beneficial to the economy or a detriment? Does the new law still favor those at the top? Does a lower corporate tax rate increase investment, growth and employment levels.
7. What is your opinion about the distribution of wealth—which is much more disparate than income. Should we be concerned that so few have an investment in the system?
8. What is government’s role in the overall distribution of income and wealth?
9. Regarding the “happiness index”, are low tax countries happier than higher tax countries?
10. What is the longer-term impact on income distribution of the current pandemic? Has it effected all income group the same?
Here are a few links and articles to get you started.
NPR Report—Who wins with the new tax law
Pew Trust: https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2020/01/09/trends-in-income-and-wealth-inequality/
HAPPINESS INDEX—2019—Washington Post
Distribution of Wealth:
The first link represents a more conservative political/economic view and would be more representative of the traditional Republican view…the second is much more liberal.
A more liberal view—one more representative of the view of most Democrats
Fareed Zakaria—CNN: Excellent overview on impact of pandemic on income distribution:
https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2020/10/18/fareeds-take-pandemic-inequality-coronavirus-sot-gps-vpx.cnn. For more information on Macroeconomic Problems see this: https://www.encyclopedia.com/social-sciences-and-law/economics-business-and-labor/economics-terms-and-concepts/macroeconomics
Why Choose Us
ACME Homework provides the best top-grade academic writing services in compliance with our customers’ instructions. Have your paper written by a certified professional online college homework help writer to produce only high-quality essays with zero plagiarism.
Professional Academic Writers
You can now choose from a pool of online college homework help writers. Choose your writer and have them write the best content for you. ACME Homework has, over the years, secured a team of the most reliable, experienced, and qualified writers. You can, therefore, trust that your assignment is in good hands.
We know that students have very limited budgets. And for that, we always strive to provide only the best, most affordable online college homework help services to our customers. Our goal is to provide top-quality assignment help services to all customers at the lowest, most affordable prices.
At Acmehomework.com, we pay strict attention to deadlines. We recommend you to check out clients’ reviews for assurance that we will complete your assignments within the set deadlines. You can, therefore, trust that your paper will be done within and before the set deadline. Until now, we have not missed a single deadline.
Our Acmehomework.com homework helper experts write only 100% original and plagiarism-free content for all of our clients. We also have a Quality Assurance Department team that goes through all work submitted by our writers multiple times. You can, therefore, rest assured that any signs of plagiarized or unoriginal content will be rejected before it reaches your portal.
Customer Support 24/7
Acmehomework.com expert writers are always available 24/7 for customers who need assistance with using our website. You don’t have to check your watch the next time you want to have your assignment written. Our customer support is always available round the clock and ready to listen to your queries. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
For years now, Acmehomework.com has stood as a leader in providing its customers with the best online college homework help service in the industry. And all you have to do is provide us with the details of your order. Leave everything else to us. We’ve always got you covered.
Since we launched, Acmehomework.com deserved the best online “college homework help status” thanks to our essay ordering, writing, and delivery process. We deliver nothing but excellence in our results. Our essay writing services include impeccable grammar, zero-plagiarism, proper structure, and conformance to guidelines.
Admission and Business Papers
Our top-quality online college homework help services guarantee that you will be accepted into your desired university. You just need to fill out your admission and business papers, and our team of online homework help workers will handle the rest. We will help you achieve and secure the best positions in your admissions forms.
Editing and Proofreading
At Acmehomework.com, we have a skilled writing and editing team that’s dedicated to creating, editing, and restructuring for all types of papers. Our online college homework help editing and proofreading team will check, paraphrase, and correct any grammar mistakes on your paper before submitting the final document to you.
At Acmehomework.com, we pride ourselves in having writers in almost all fields, even the most technical ones. You never have to worry about your paper being too technical for our certified online college homework help writers to handle. ACME Homework’s team of writers can handle even the most complex writers. We will match your paper to the most competent writer that we believe will handle your paper the best way possible.