As our country has become more polarized and the government has moved to restrict both legal and illegal immigration through travel bans, immigration raids, and incarceration of migrant families and individuals, the concept of what it means to be “American” and belong in America has been strongly contested.
In exploring these issue of the different kinds of American identities and experiences, you will tell a story of one of your personal experiences that formed your own identity.
Within that exploration, explain how this experience made you feel, describe the experiences of your family and how they have shaped your identity, and analyze what you learned from your personal and familial experiences that have given you a sense of how you fit into American society.
What Else Do I Need to Think About While Writing My Essay?
1. Purpose: Choose one memory to write about and reflect on. Use the examples we read about and listened to in our textbook and the NPR podcasts as models for the kind of writing you will do.
2. Description: Use effective and vivid concrete details, sensory descriptions, and figurative language to make your memoir come alive for readers.
3. Organization: The presentation or order of events should make sense for the story you are telling. Transition between ideas and paragraphs, and make sure that your essay is cohesive and “flows” well.
4. Focus: All the details you present must be relevant to the intent of the piece. Focus on your own personal experiences. Sources are not required.
5. Style: Name characters (people) and describe their actions using strong verbs. The writing should resemble a memoir style rather than an “essay for an English course.”
6. Formatting: Use MLA Style to format your essay with correct heading, essay title, page numbers, spacing, and font style/size. If you choose to include outside sources, cite them using proper MLA format in parenthetical (in-text) citations and a Works Cited page.
I am from Ukraine. I live have lived here since May 2011. I have 2 sons 21 20 years old, and husband.