CRJ204: Crime and Justice in Urban Communities
The final paper fulfills the following learning outcome: The student is able to gather, evaluate, interpret, and analyze empirical data about crime, criminal justice, and social inequality. The final paper is a semester long project where you will write on a topic of your choice. My topic is Homicide in the Bronx.
First, you will collect data that is available on public records, on the American FactFinder from the Census Bureau pages (here is the link: (https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml). You will follow these steps.
1. Click on the Advanced Search tab; then on “Show Me All.”
2. Click on Geographies (on the tabs displaying on the left of your screen).
3. Select a geographic type. Scroll down to select Census Tract – 140.
4. Select a state. Choose New York.
5. Select a county. You have the option to choose one of the following five counties: Bronx, Brooklyn, New York (Manhattan), Queens, Richmond (Staten Island). (Census tract maps for each of the five boroughs are provided at the end of this document).
6. Select a census tract; click Add to your Selections, and close the Select Geographies window (button on the top right); then close the “Select Geographies” window.
Now, that you have selected your geographical area, you will provide information on this neighborhood (this is the neighborhood where you will conduct your research).
7. Click on Topics (on the tabs displaying on the left of you screen) and select/expand People.
8. Click on Age and Sex and provide information (percentages) on the age and sex distribution.
9. Click on Education, select Educational Attainment, and provide information on people with no high school diploma, high school diploma, bachelor degree, and graduate degree.
10. Click on Employment, select Employment (Labor Force) Status, select Work Status in the Past 12 Months, and provide the percentage who did not work.
11. Click on Income, select Income and Earnings, select Income/Earnings (Individuals), click on Income in the Past 12 Months (in 2017 Inflation-Adjusted Dollars) and provide the median household income.
12. Click on Poverty, select Poverty, and click on Poverty Status in the Past 12 Months, and report the percent below poverty as well as the percent below poverty for white, black, and Hispanic individuals.
13. Click on Origins, select Foreign Born, click on Place of Birth by Nativity and Citizenship Status and report the percent foreign born.
14. Click on Race and Ethnic Groups, then select and report percentages for White (Not Hispanic or Latino), Black or African American, and Hispanic or Latino (use ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates for 2017).
• Category 1 – Violent and Property Crime:
o Possible Topics: homicide, robbery, gang affiliation, juvenile delinquency, vehicle theft, carjacking, burglary
• Category 2 – Intimate Partner Violence:
o Possible Topics: rape/sexual assault, domestic violence, parental abuse
• Category 3 – Public Order Offenses:
o Possible Topics: prostitution/sex work, gambling, drug use
• Category 4 – Social Control of Crime:
o Possible Topics: law enforcement bias, use of deadly force, probation/parole enforcement, bail, prison/jail visits
The final paper should consist of the following elements.
1. Introduction: This consists of an introduction to the topic, a brief background on the topic, theories/literature review, and thesis statement.
2. Methodology: This is where you describe how you collect and analyze the data.
3. Conclusion: This is the section where you summarize your thoughts, findings, limitations, and guidance for future studies.
4. Citation page: This is the section where you list your sources. Make sure to follow proper citation procedures. (MLA).
The main emphasis should be on documenting problems people experience in the neighborhood you chose to investigate. Keep in mind, this is a full paper. In addition to conducting a literature review and seeing what others have written on the topic. Therefore, it is imperative that your topic is contextualized in the neighborhood. For example, if the neighborhood has high rates of poverty, unemployment, and so on, does that affect why a particular type of crime is prominent or why the police are too neglectful or too harsh?
Furthermore, when writing a research paper, all components should come together. In essence, the paragraphs and the organization of the paper should be thought about carefully. When you pick a topic, you should address why the topic is important, what others have written on the topic, and what you intend to write on (your thesis). Afterwards, you need to pick the proper methods for your research question; the methods should reflect and measure your idea.
Finally, the back end should follow coherently the setup in the front end of the paper. Your discussion of results should be concise, match the thesis of your paper, and be based on the methodology you used. Offer arguments and avoid speculative language as much as possible.
The paper will be graded in three steps: on choosing a topic and outline, on collecting quantitative data, and on the final draft. The topic and outline is worth 2%, the data collection 3%, whereas the final draft 10%. Here are some expectations for each component.
Why Choose Us
ACME Homework provides the best top-grade academic writing services in compliance with our customers’ instructions. Have your paper written by a certified professional online college homework help writer to produce only high-quality essays with zero plagiarism.
Professional Academic Writers
You can now choose from a pool of online college homework help writers. Choose your writer and have them write the best content for you. ACME Homework has, over the years, secured a team of the most reliable, experienced, and qualified writers. You can, therefore, trust that your assignment is in good hands.
We know that students have very limited budgets. And for that, we always strive to provide only the best, most affordable online college homework help services to our customers. Our goal is to provide top-quality assignment help services to all customers at the lowest, most affordable prices.
At Acmehomework.com, we pay strict attention to deadlines. We recommend you to check out clients’ reviews for assurance that we will complete your assignments within the set deadlines. You can, therefore, trust that your paper will be done within and before the set deadline. Until now, we have not missed a single deadline.
Our Acmehomework.com homework helper experts write only 100% original and plagiarism-free content for all of our clients. We also have a Quality Assurance Department team that goes through all work submitted by our writers multiple times. You can, therefore, rest assured that any signs of plagiarized or unoriginal content will be rejected before it reaches your portal.
Customer Support 24/7
Acmehomework.com expert writers are always available 24/7 for customers who need assistance with using our website. You don’t have to check your watch the next time you want to have your assignment written. Our customer support is always available round the clock and ready to listen to your queries. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: email@example.com.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
For years now, Acmehomework.com has stood as a leader in providing its customers with the best online college homework help service in the industry. And all you have to do is provide us with the details of your order. Leave everything else to us. We’ve always got you covered.
Since we launched, Acmehomework.com deserved the best online “college homework help status” thanks to our essay ordering, writing, and delivery process. We deliver nothing but excellence in our results. Our essay writing services include impeccable grammar, zero-plagiarism, proper structure, and conformance to guidelines.
Admission and Business Papers
Our top-quality online college homework help services guarantee that you will be accepted into your desired university. You just need to fill out your admission and business papers, and our team of online homework help workers will handle the rest. We will help you achieve and secure the best positions in your admissions forms.
Editing and Proofreading
At Acmehomework.com, we have a skilled writing and editing team that’s dedicated to creating, editing, and restructuring for all types of papers. Our online college homework help editing and proofreading team will check, paraphrase, and correct any grammar mistakes on your paper before submitting the final document to you.
At Acmehomework.com, we pride ourselves in having writers in almost all fields, even the most technical ones. You never have to worry about your paper being too technical for our certified online college homework help writers to handle. ACME Homework’s team of writers can handle even the most complex writers. We will match your paper to the most competent writer that we believe will handle your paper the best way possible.