Between 1923 and 1947, Arkansas Power & Light (AP&L) constructed dams on two Arkansas lakes, Hamilton and Catherine. The company obtained “flood easements” on property adjoining the lakes. The easements permitted AP&L to “clear of trees, brush and other obstructions and to submerge by water [the adjoining land].” AP&L properly recorded its easements.
In May 1990, extraordinarily heavy rains fell, and water reached the highest levels ever recorded. AP&L opened the gates of one dam, called Carpenter, causing water to rise 25 feet. This flood caused massive damage to the landowners’ real estate. Several dozen landowners sued, claiming that AP&L was negligent in opening the dam and in failing to warn homeowners of their intended action. The United States District Court granted summary judgment for AP&L, and the landowners appealed.
You Be the Judge:
Did the easements relieve AP&L from liability for flooding?
The case study above will assess how well you understand the concept of nonpossessory interests. Begin by reading the facts of the case (Carvin v. Arkansas Power and Light), then decide: Did the easements relieve AP&L from liability for flooding?
Read the arguments for both sides carefully before beginning your case study. Present your decision in writing in a 3 page (double-spaced) decision. The case may be found using Google Scholar.
● What rights does a landowner have and how are they affected by an easement?
○ In this case what were the responsibilities of all parties?
○ What rights did AP&L purchase with the easement?
○ Did subsequent owners know of the easement and if they did not, are they still bound by it?
○ Is it fair to have the landowners pay for the actions of a large corporation?
● Was AP&L negligent in their actions?
○ Should they have provided notice to the homeowners?
○ Were there other actions that AP&L could have taken?
○ Should AP&L have foreseen that this type of flooding was possible and constructed an alternative holding area for the waters?
● What was the effect of AP&L recording
● Respond to the questions in this Assignment providing support or evidence for your point of view or argument you are trying to make.
● Tell your readers what action they should take, or provide a summary of what the reader should take away from reading/learning about the topic.
● Write your paper in a clear and articulate manner using Standard English.
● Write the paper in your words without using quotations.
● Ensure it is well-organized, logical, and unified, and that your work is original and insightful.
● Use the 7th edition APA formatting and citation style for your paper.
● Respond in a least a 3-page paper with a separate title and reference page.
● Have at least two quality references or law cases, for a total of at least three. For more information on Flood Easements visit this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easement
Why Choose Us
ACME Homework provides the best top-grade academic writing services in compliance with our customers’ instructions. Have your paper written by a certified professional online college homework help writer to produce only high-quality essays with zero plagiarism.
Professional Academic Writers
You can now choose from a pool of online college homework help writers. Choose your writer and have them write the best content for you. ACME Homework has, over the years, secured a team of the most reliable, experienced, and qualified writers. You can, therefore, trust that your assignment is in good hands.
We know that students have very limited budgets. And for that, we always strive to provide only the best, most affordable online college homework help services to our customers. Our goal is to provide top-quality assignment help services to all customers at the lowest, most affordable prices.
At Acmehomework.com, we pay strict attention to deadlines. We recommend you to check out clients’ reviews for assurance that we will complete your assignments within the set deadlines. You can, therefore, trust that your paper will be done within and before the set deadline. Until now, we have not missed a single deadline.
Our Acmehomework.com homework helper experts write only 100% original and plagiarism-free content for all of our clients. We also have a Quality Assurance Department team that goes through all work submitted by our writers multiple times. You can, therefore, rest assured that any signs of plagiarized or unoriginal content will be rejected before it reaches your portal.
Customer Support 24/7
Acmehomework.com expert writers are always available 24/7 for customers who need assistance with using our website. You don’t have to check your watch the next time you want to have your assignment written. Our customer support is always available round the clock and ready to listen to your queries. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
For years now, Acmehomework.com has stood as a leader in providing its customers with the best online college homework help service in the industry. And all you have to do is provide us with the details of your order. Leave everything else to us. We’ve always got you covered.
Since we launched, Acmehomework.com deserved the best online “college homework help status” thanks to our essay ordering, writing, and delivery process. We deliver nothing but excellence in our results. Our essay writing services include impeccable grammar, zero-plagiarism, proper structure, and conformance to guidelines.
Admission and Business Papers
Our top-quality online college homework help services guarantee that you will be accepted into your desired university. You just need to fill out your admission and business papers, and our team of online homework help workers will handle the rest. We will help you achieve and secure the best positions in your admissions forms.
Editing and Proofreading
At Acmehomework.com, we have a skilled writing and editing team that’s dedicated to creating, editing, and restructuring for all types of papers. Our online college homework help editing and proofreading team will check, paraphrase, and correct any grammar mistakes on your paper before submitting the final document to you.
At Acmehomework.com, we pride ourselves in having writers in almost all fields, even the most technical ones. You never have to worry about your paper being too technical for our certified online college homework help writers to handle. ACME Homework’s team of writers can handle even the most complex writers. We will match your paper to the most competent writer that we believe will handle your paper the best way possible.