Assignment Guide and Expectations
Assignment 4 – The Value of Fair Treatment in the Work Place (200 points)
Recommend 4 pages
• Foundation from reading Chapters 19 and 20 – Jennings, Marianne. (2018). Business: Its Legal, Ethical, and Global Environment (11th ed.). Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.
• Cover Page – Include the Assignment name, your name and date
• This is a resource –your answers should reflect an understanding of all these questions.
You have been hired as a management consultant by a large company to examine the company’s business decisions regarding employee protections. The applicable laws are federal anti-discrimination laws, federal health and safety laws, and employer firing practices related to the employment-at-will (EAW) doctrine.
1) Analyze, identify, and explain (2) recent legislations, within the last 10 years (you may go back over 10 years ago but include a recent case example to exemplify how the law is still used today) that helps to protect employees from discrimination in the workplace. Provide at least (2) two federal legislative protections. Provide some insight when the federal legislation conflicts with the state. (25%)
• Examine the definition of workplace discrimination.
• Discuss 2 federal legislations that protects employees from discrimination in any capacity. See the textbook and/or: https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/index.cfm
• Discuss relevant and recent caselaw to explain legislation protections.
• What is the procedure when federal legislature (laws) conflicts with the State (laws)? In other words, what is the Supremacy Clause?
• Support your answer where applicable.
2) Explain the EAW doctrine and ALL exceptions to the doctrine. (25%)
• Explain the Employment at Will Doctrine in your own words.
• Explain all the Exceptions and think outside the box.
• What are the common rules and policies – such as anti-discrimination laws and other employment laws, that protect employees from termination?
• Think about all the areas of law we covered this quarter.
• What specific legislation has been written? (Example: Whistleblower protections)
(2) Look at the scenarios below and determine whether the decision to fire the employee is a smart one. Identify why or why not, and determine all the possible exceptions per the EAW doctrine that are, might be, or could be applicable if the employee sues for wrongful termination
• Ask yourself – is this a case of wrongful termination OR is there an exception that would protect this employee – why or why not?
• Can the employee make a good argument that there is not an exception and the firing is legal?
• Use statutes and/or case law to support your answer where applicable.
SCENARIOS – ANSWER ALL:
Brenda, a manager, started a blog on the company website for employee grievances. She noticed that a worker was protesting that no Asian American employees had gotten a raise in two years at the company. The worker also criticized how much the CEO made and how the CEO was “out of touch.” Brenda reprimanded the worker. The next day, the worker talked to fellow co-workers about forming a union. Brenda subsequently fired the worker.
Jason, a department supervisor, requests approval to fire his secretary, Alice. Alice, a devout Christian, has been putting Right-to-Life flyers in the employee breakroom. Alice is also taking time out to pray each day during the busiest time of the morning.
Brian, the head of the accounting department, refused to sign Lori’s leave request for jury duty. Lori is a tax attorney in his department. Brian wants to fire Lori for being absent without permission during their busiest time—tax season.
Peter has worked for the company for one year. He has a rare form of liver disease and works with chemicals that make his condition worse. Peter does not want to stop working, but his boss is not happy with his performance and wants to let him go.
3) Determine the federal law regarding undocumented workers and whether they are eligible for state workers’ compensation in the United States. Advocate for or against this practice and substantiate your response with research to support your position. (25%)
• What is the federal law regarding those undocumented and working in the US and, what is required for employers to verify employment?
• Explain your State worker’s compensation in the US and whether it applies to undocumented workers.
• Explain what an undocumented worker is – what does this mean?
• Explain how federal immigration law conflicts with the state worker’s compensation law.
• Argue for or against this practice and provide – why you agree or do not agree with it.
• Provide some substance to your answer.
Use at least two (3) quality resources in this assignment. (15%)
• Quality resources are course textbook, published books, academic journal articles, and expert report. Wikipedia is not accepted.
Clarity, writing mechanics, and formatting requirements and citing sources per SWS requirements. (10%)
Citing sources – Reference page examples
1. Michael Harvey. 2013. The Nuts & Bolts of College Writing. p. 1. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=http://search. ebscohost.com/login.aspx
2. William R. Stanek. 2010. Storyboarding Techniques chapter in Effective Writing for Business, College and Life. http:// libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=nlebk&AN=359141&site=e ds-live&scope=site&ebv=EB&ppid=pp_23 3.
3. Zyad Hicham. 2017. Vocabulary Growth in College-Level Students’ Narrative Writing. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/ login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=edsdoj&AN=edsdoj.9b7fad40e529462bafe3a936 aaf81420&site=eds-live&scope=site
Please review how to cite your references pursuant to Writing Standards. See the link in Blackboard. Citing a website only is NOT acceptable and does not follow standards:
Suggestion on Dos and Don’ts
• Start your Assignment early (Do not wait to start 48 hours before the Assignment is due).
• Discuss each question equally – for example do not write 2 pages for question 1, and 2 sentences for question 3.
• Your answers should be based on your research of the law and facts.
• Do not write the questions into your paper.
• Ensure you submit the correct paper.
• Use the help provided to you such as Grammarly and the online tutor.
• Do not write an announcement in your paper, for example, “In this paper I will discuss the laws on discrimination.” This may increase your SafeAssign score.
• Do not write about your personal experiences in your paper.
• Do not use irrelevant diagrams, charts or pictures in your paper.
• Do not copy and paste material – paraphrase and put answers in your own words.
• Do not write more than 6 pages for this assignment
Keep Calm and Good Luck! For more information on Fair Treatment in the Workplace see this: https://www.britannica.com/topic/equal-opportunity
Why Choose Us
ACME Homework provides the best top-grade academic writing services in compliance with our customers’ instructions. Have your paper written by a certified professional online college homework help writer to produce only high-quality essays with zero plagiarism.
Professional Academic Writers
You can now choose from a pool of online college homework help writers. Choose your writer and have them write the best content for you. ACME Homework has, over the years, secured a team of the most reliable, experienced, and qualified writers. You can, therefore, trust that your assignment is in good hands.
We know that students have very limited budgets. And for that, we always strive to provide only the best, most affordable online college homework help services to our customers. Our goal is to provide top-quality assignment help services to all customers at the lowest, most affordable prices.
At Acmehomework.com, we pay strict attention to deadlines. We recommend you to check out clients’ reviews for assurance that we will complete your assignments within the set deadlines. You can, therefore, trust that your paper will be done within and before the set deadline. Until now, we have not missed a single deadline.
Our Acmehomework.com homework helper experts write only 100% original and plagiarism-free content for all of our clients. We also have a Quality Assurance Department team that goes through all work submitted by our writers multiple times. You can, therefore, rest assured that any signs of plagiarized or unoriginal content will be rejected before it reaches your portal.
Customer Support 24/7
Acmehomework.com expert writers are always available 24/7 for customers who need assistance with using our website. You don’t have to check your watch the next time you want to have your assignment written. Our customer support is always available round the clock and ready to listen to your queries. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
For years now, Acmehomework.com has stood as a leader in providing its customers with the best online college homework help service in the industry. And all you have to do is provide us with the details of your order. Leave everything else to us. We’ve always got you covered.
Since we launched, Acmehomework.com deserved the best online “college homework help status” thanks to our essay ordering, writing, and delivery process. We deliver nothing but excellence in our results. Our essay writing services include impeccable grammar, zero-plagiarism, proper structure, and conformance to guidelines.
Admission and Business Papers
Our top-quality online college homework help services guarantee that you will be accepted into your desired university. You just need to fill out your admission and business papers, and our team of online homework help workers will handle the rest. We will help you achieve and secure the best positions in your admissions forms.
Editing and Proofreading
At Acmehomework.com, we have a skilled writing and editing team that’s dedicated to creating, editing, and restructuring for all types of papers. Our online college homework help editing and proofreading team will check, paraphrase, and correct any grammar mistakes on your paper before submitting the final document to you.
At Acmehomework.com, we pride ourselves in having writers in almost all fields, even the most technical ones. You never have to worry about your paper being too technical for our certified online college homework help writers to handle. ACME Homework’s team of writers can handle even the most complex writers. We will match your paper to the most competent writer that we believe will handle your paper the best way possible.