Case Study 3: Confessions and Admissions after a Request for a Lawyer
Due Week 8 and worth 100 points
A suspect is apprehended in a department store by the security guard. The suspect is placed in handcuffs and taken to the manager’s office. The police are called and advised of the situation. Officer Martinez arrives at the department store approximately 15 minutes later. Officer Martinez takes a statement from the security guard and views the in-store camera film of the shoplifting incident. Officer Martinez places the suspect under arrest, reads the suspect the Miranda warnings, and asks the suspect if he would like to make a statement. The suspect replies, “No, I would like a lawyer”. The suspect is then transported to the local jail and booked. Six hours later, the suspect is interviewed by a detective who again reads him the Miranda warning. The detective then asks the suspect if he would like to talk. The suspect says, “Yes.” He eventually confesses to the crime.
Write a 1- to 2-page paper in which you:
1. Identify and discuss the constitutional amendments that would relate to this situation.
2. Discuss how the Edwards rule is related to this situation.
3. In your opinion, determine if the suspect’s confession to the detective is admissible. Support your opinion with specific case law or contemporary cases.
4. Use at least three quality references. Note: Wikipedia and other similar websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
• This course requires the use of new Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
• Be typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow SWS or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
• Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
• Research and analyze procedures governing the process of arrest through trial.
• Critically debate the constitutional safeguards of key amendments with specific attention to the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 14th Amendments.
• Explain key law enforcement regulatory procedures and rules and requirements of law enforcement in the evidence collection phase.
• Explain and debate fundamental Supreme Court cases associated with criminal procedure.
• Use technology and information resources to research issues in the criminal procedure.
• Write clearly and concisely about the criminal procedure using proper writing mechanics.
Professional homework help features
Our ExperienceHowever the complexity of your assignment, we have the right professionals to carry out your specific task. ACME homework is a company that does homework help writing services for students who need homework help. We only hire super-skilled academic experts to write your projects. Our years of experience allows us to provide students with homework writing, editing & proofreading services.
Free revision policy$10
Free bibliography & reference$8
Free title page$8
How our professional homework help writing services work
You first have to fill in an order form. In case you need any clarifications regarding the form, feel free to reach out for further guidance. To fill in the form, include basic informaion regarding your order that is topic, subject, number of pages required as well as any other relevant information that will be of help.Complete the order form
Once we have all the information and instructions that we need, we select the most suitable writer for your assignment. While everything seems to be clear, the writer, who has complete knowledge of the subject, may need clarification from you. It is at that point that you would receive a call or email from us.Writer’s assignment
As soon as the writer has finished, it will be delivered both to the website and to your email address so that you will not miss it. If your deadline is close at hand, we will place a call to you to make sure that you receive the paper on time.Completing the order and download