* Link for the video for the question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmXEUCH3KxQ (The Italian Americans – La Famiglia)
* Question (Please review these questions before watching the film because they can help you think about where and how to apply Tara J. Yosso’s six types of community cultural capital (inspirational, linguistic, navigational, familial, societal, and resistant capitals) to the PBS documentary)
1. In 1964, the reputation of the city of Roseto challenged the popular opinion of Italians as members of organized crime (the mafia). How did this reputation represent societal and resistant capitals?
2. The Roseto Effect is when positive family experiences lead to physical health. In the film, it is said that “A socially-cohesive community is protected.” What were those positive family experiences and how do they represent familial capital? How does the saying, “The very air of America weakened the Italian family” represent familial, linguistic, and resistant capitals?
3. Before 1960, Italy was not a unified country, but a collection of kingdoms. Giuseppe Garibaldi changed that; however, the Bourbon rulers that used to own the land and all the resources in southern Italy were only replaced by the north Italian government. Mezzogiorno (southern region of Italy meaning, “noon” or “twelve o’clock”) families were so poor that mothers would take the plaster off of the walls to mix with the flour to stretch the bread. Morbid as it is, how does this creativity represent navigational, familial, and aspirational capitals?
The goals of this assignment are for you to:
• Question the definition of race in the United States.
• Demonstrate that you can define, give examples of, and know the differences between Tara J. Yosso’s six types of community cultural wealth: inspirational, linguistic, navigational, familial, societal, and resistant capitals.
• Construct writing that takes a position, is understandable, uses academic language, and is free from spelling, grammatical, and punctuation errors.
* Your answer should be in paragraph form and must state what community the cultural wealth you see in a specific scenario from the film and how you see it taking place.
* Your format for the essay should look like this:
Pick a Title for Your Paragraph
In the PBS documentary Italian Americans – La Famiglia, there were three instances where I saw Tara J. Yosso’s community cultural wealth taking place. [Start your writing here…] For more information on Community Cultural Wealth visit this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_capital