The task for Essay is to critique, to evaluate and make some judgment about, one choice or decision made by one character in Fences. Begin with a scene where a character makes a choice: In Act I, Scene III, for example, when Rose asks Troy why he won’t let Cory play football, he says, “I decided seventeen years ago that boy wasn’t getting involved in no sports. Not after what they did to me in the sports” (Wilson 1053). What reasons seem to motivate Troy? Is he trying to protect Cory from the racism he experienced? Is he letting his own bitterness and disappointment get the better of him? Is he jealous? Or is he just being realistic? What actions does he take as a result of this decision and what are the consequences?
Begin with a scene like this and develop a tentative thesis about why a character chooses to act or think or feel in a particular way AND about how you judge the character as a result: Is the character to blame? Praiseworthy? Why? Analyze additional scenes in the play that offer details in support of your critique. But note: try not to oversimplify—remember the play is a tragedy. A character like Troy is flawed, no doubt. But his failings may be rooted in fate, in forces that are beyond his control. At the same time, he has strengths, just as Rose and Cory and the rest have their weaknesses.
You can assume your reader is familiar with it and simply may need to be reminded of the details, the dramatic elements, of one or another scene that provide illustration and evidence of your ideas. Does the dialogue between Rose and Troy when she says “I ain’t never wanted no half nothing in my family” in the climactic first scene of Act II (Wilson 1069-70) help clarify or complicate your understanding of why Rose chooses to adopt / embrace Raynell two scenes later (1076)? How do specific images like the fence itself, first base, the roof and the television, Gabe’s trumpet or his key or the flowers he brings to Rose symbolize one or another theme that Wilson explores through the issues the characters face? Point out specific dramatic elements in specific scenes that help you to understand and assess or evaluate a decision made by one character during the course of the play.
The draft you write should include the following parts:
· An Introduction that focuses attention on your thesis—the primary idea or overall point you have come to, the conclusion (not to be confused with the end of your paper) that you have arrived at as a result of examining the motives and consequences of a character’s actions.
· Your analysis of a character’s decision (whether conscious or unconscious) to act or think or feel a specific way. Consider one or more of the following questions:
1. What conflicts, pressures, experiences contribute to his / her decision?
2. What are the character’s options?
3. How do his / her relationships with other characters clarify his / her motives?
4. What seem to be the personality factors—the feelings, needs, desires, disappointments, values, attitudes—that drive the character?
· Detailed explanations of how specific scenes help develop your understanding of the factors—external (parental abuse, for example) and internal (alcohol abuse, for example)—that might account for a character’s actions.
· A clearly reasoned argument defending how and why you credit or fault (or both) the character. This should include reasons for and against a counter argument. If you blame Troy, for example, for his betrayal of Rose, consider the fact that Rose herself seems to forgive him at the end of the play.
· Possibly some discussion of how your view of the character raises larger psychological, cultural, or moral issues that may be thematic threads in the play. For example, what does Troy’s decision to challenge the way Black men are given no opportunity to drive the garbage trucks get you thinking about the role that race plays in the characters’ lives—and from there what ideas about race Wilson seems to raise in the play.
You may, if you find it helpful, refer to one or another scene as it is portrayed in the 2016 Denzel Washington film version of Fences—but do so only by way of comparison with the written text and be sure to distinguish between the two in your citations. For more information on Character in Fences see this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fences_(film)
Why Choose Us
ACME Homework provides the best top-grade academic writing services in compliance with our customers’ instructions. Have your paper written by a certified professional online college homework help writer to produce only high-quality essays with zero plagiarism.
Professional Academic Writers
You can now choose from a pool of online college homework help writers. Choose your writer and have them write the best content for you. ACME Homework has, over the years, secured a team of the most reliable, experienced, and qualified writers. You can, therefore, trust that your assignment is in good hands.
We know that students have very limited budgets. And for that, we always strive to provide only the best, most affordable online college homework help services to our customers. Our goal is to provide top-quality assignment help services to all customers at the lowest, most affordable prices.
At Acmehomework.com, we pay strict attention to deadlines. We recommend you to check out clients’ reviews for assurance that we will complete your assignments within the set deadlines. You can, therefore, trust that your paper will be done within and before the set deadline. Until now, we have not missed a single deadline.
Our Acmehomework.com homework helper experts write only 100% original and plagiarism-free content for all of our clients. We also have a Quality Assurance Department team that goes through all work submitted by our writers multiple times. You can, therefore, rest assured that any signs of plagiarized or unoriginal content will be rejected before it reaches your portal.
Customer Support 24/7
Acmehomework.com expert writers are always available 24/7 for customers who need assistance with using our website. You don’t have to check your watch the next time you want to have your assignment written. Our customer support is always available round the clock and ready to listen to your queries. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
For years now, Acmehomework.com has stood as a leader in providing its customers with the best online college homework help service in the industry. And all you have to do is provide us with the details of your order. Leave everything else to us. We’ve always got you covered.
Since we launched, Acmehomework.com deserved the best online “college homework help status” thanks to our essay ordering, writing, and delivery process. We deliver nothing but excellence in our results. Our essay writing services include impeccable grammar, zero-plagiarism, proper structure, and conformance to guidelines.
Admission and Business Papers
Our top-quality online college homework help services guarantee that you will be accepted into your desired university. You just need to fill out your admission and business papers, and our team of online homework help workers will handle the rest. We will help you achieve and secure the best positions in your admissions forms.
Editing and Proofreading
At Acmehomework.com, we have a skilled writing and editing team that’s dedicated to creating, editing, and restructuring for all types of papers. Our online college homework help editing and proofreading team will check, paraphrase, and correct any grammar mistakes on your paper before submitting the final document to you.
At Acmehomework.com, we pride ourselves in having writers in almost all fields, even the most technical ones. You never have to worry about your paper being too technical for our certified online college homework help writers to handle. ACME Homework’s team of writers can handle even the most complex writers. We will match your paper to the most competent writer that we believe will handle your paper the best way possible.