BIO 115 NUMBER 5 TAKE HOME EXAM Cellular metabolism
1. 1 calorie = _______________ joules? Which one of these units is used in the metric system?
2. Define cellular metabolism:
3. Fill in this chart of metabolic terms/phenomena using the terms given
-gives off energy, builds large molecules, endergonic, breaks apart large molecules, uses energy, exergonic
4. This is a molecule of glucose, where in the molecule is its energy stored?
5. In metabolism, what is energetic coupling?
6. What is the energetic advantage of having reactions that are coupled?
7. Draw an ATP molecule and label the adenosine, the ribose sugar and the 3 phosphate groups
8. What role does ADP and ATP play in the typical cell?
9. Where in the ATP molecule is its metabolic energy stored?
10. How does ATP ‘power’ a reaction?
11. What is the difference between cellular respiration and cellular metabolism?
12. This is a summary of cellular respiration:
-describe what is happening here
-also, chemical energy begins locked up in the glucose molecule. List the places the energy travels as it moves through the process. Also, the energy is ultimately use for what purpose?
13. This is a simplified diagram of glucose respiration:
-describe in your own words what is happening.
-the energy of this metabolic process begins in glucose – trace the energy’s path of release through the process
14. Notice that 1/2 through the respiratory process, energy carriers accept and transfer the energy. In what form is this energy that the energy carriers accept and transfer.
15. Also, the energy carriers transfer the energy from point A to point B. What are these 2 points?
16. Are these energy carriers in their oxidized form or reduced form?
-FADH2 – -NAD – -FADH –
17. Below is a summary of glucose respiration:
18. Glucose is first transported into the cytoplasm and first goes through the glycolysis pathway:
-how many carbon atoms are in glucose?
-glucose is converted to _________________ by glycolysis. This resulting molecule(s) have ______ carbons.
-so what does the term glycolysis mean and why is it appropriately named?
19. a. After glycolysis, the resultant 3-carbon pyruvic acid is transported into the mitochondrial matrix. It is converted to ______________________ by the transition reaction.
b. however, under certain conditions, and in mammalian cells, pyruvic acid is converted to______________ under low oxygen conditions.
c. alternatively, in yeast cells, pyruvic acid is converted to _____________ under anaerobic conditions
20. When oxygen is abundant, the product from 19a. above enters into the Citric Acid Cycle (Kreb’s Cycle). Where in the cell does the Citric Acid Cycle occur?
21. Name 3 molecules that are produced by and released from the Citric Acid Cycle. _______________ this one carries electrons
_______________ this one also carries electrons
_______________ This one is a gas
22. Describe the electron transport chain: -its components
-how it works
-how it produces a concentration gradient -what that concentration gradient is used for
23. So, at the end of all of this, how is ATP made?
24. Describe/illustrate the cell cycle. Describe what happens during each phase of this cycle. Also illustrate how mitosis and its phases, along with cytokinesis, fits into the larger cycle.
25. Name the phase of these dividing cells:
26. What is the diploid number of the cell (going through mitosis) below?
27. If a cell had a diploid number of 10 chromosomes and was going through MITOSIS, how many chromatids in total would exist in the cell during:
-in the daughter cells
28. What is the purpose of MITOSIS in an organism?
29. If a cell had a diploid number of 10 chromosomes and was going through MEIOSIS, how many chromatids in total would exist in the cell during:
-a prophase I cell -a metaphase I cell -a prophase II cell -in a daughter cell
30. What is the purpose of MEIOSIS in an organism?
31. What is crossing over and when in a cell cycle does it occur?
32. What are homologous chromosomes?
33. What is separated by MEIOSIS I?
34. What is separated by MEIOSIS II? For more information on Cellular Metabolism checkout this: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/metabolism
Why Choose Us
ACME Homework provides the best top-grade academic writing services in compliance with our customers’ instructions. Have your paper written by a certified professional online college homework help writer to produce only high-quality essays with zero plagiarism.
Professional Academic Writers
You can now choose from a pool of online college homework help writers. Choose your writer and have them write the best content for you. ACME Homework has, over the years, secured a team of the most reliable, experienced, and qualified writers. You can, therefore, trust that your assignment is in good hands.
We know that students have very limited budgets. And for that, we always strive to provide only the best, most affordable online college homework help services to our customers. Our goal is to provide top-quality assignment help services to all customers at the lowest, most affordable prices.
At Acmehomework.com, we pay strict attention to deadlines. We recommend you to check out clients’ reviews for assurance that we will complete your assignments within the set deadlines. You can, therefore, trust that your paper will be done within and before the set deadline. Until now, we have not missed a single deadline.
Our Acmehomework.com homework helper experts write only 100% original and plagiarism-free content for all of our clients. We also have a Quality Assurance Department team that goes through all work submitted by our writers multiple times. You can, therefore, rest assured that any signs of plagiarized or unoriginal content will be rejected before it reaches your portal.
Customer Support 24/7
Acmehomework.com expert writers are always available 24/7 for customers who need assistance with using our website. You don’t have to check your watch the next time you want to have your assignment written. Our customer support is always available round the clock and ready to listen to your queries. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: email@example.com.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
For years now, Acmehomework.com has stood as a leader in providing its customers with the best online college homework help service in the industry. And all you have to do is provide us with the details of your order. Leave everything else to us. We’ve always got you covered.
Since we launched, Acmehomework.com deserved the best online “college homework help status” thanks to our essay ordering, writing, and delivery process. We deliver nothing but excellence in our results. Our essay writing services include impeccable grammar, zero-plagiarism, proper structure, and conformance to guidelines.
Admission and Business Papers
Our top-quality online college homework help services guarantee that you will be accepted into your desired university. You just need to fill out your admission and business papers, and our team of online homework help workers will handle the rest. We will help you achieve and secure the best positions in your admissions forms.
Editing and Proofreading
At Acmehomework.com, we have a skilled writing and editing team that’s dedicated to creating, editing, and restructuring for all types of papers. Our online college homework help editing and proofreading team will check, paraphrase, and correct any grammar mistakes on your paper before submitting the final document to you.
At Acmehomework.com, we pride ourselves in having writers in almost all fields, even the most technical ones. You never have to worry about your paper being too technical for our certified online college homework help writers to handle. ACME Homework’s team of writers can handle even the most complex writers. We will match your paper to the most competent writer that we believe will handle your paper the best way possible.