ASSIGNMENT – TASK
Provide a summary and analysis of “The Political economy of immigration securitization: nation-building and racialization in Canada ” by Alejandro Hernandez-Ramirez (available in the Assignment 1 Folder on cuLearn) and discuss how the article fits in the broader literature concerning refugees in Canada.
Your summary and analysis should include all FIVE parts below and address ALL questions asked. Use the major headings of the parts below in your essay.
ASSIGNMENT – REQUIRED COMPONENTS
Part I: Introduction (1 Mark)
Provide an introduction to your essay that includes the following information:
• Introduce the article you will be analyzing in the assignment. Be sure to provide the name of the author(s), the name of the article, and the year the article was published.
• At the time of writing this article, was the author an academic?
• Provide a ‘road-map’ of the topics your essay will address.
• Note that your first footnote should provide a correct citation for the article.
Part II: The Author’s Research Project (3 Marks)
Describe the framework for the author’s research project by providing the information to answer the following questions:
• What central research question does the author propose in the article?
• What research methods does the author use to gather information for the article? (i.e., what types of evidence did the author rely upon?)
• How does the author structure the article (i.e. what major topics did the article cover)?
Part III: Summary and Analysis of the Article (10 Marks)
Provide a summary of the article. Be sure to answer each of the following questions:
1. What is the authors’ thesis? (1 Mark)
2. What theory or theoretical perspective does the author apply in the article? Briefly describe the theory and why you think the author subscribes to it. (2 Mark)
3. The author details how the provisions of the 1869 Immigration Act embedded social security regulations through a national security focus. Explain the author’s argument (1.5 Marks)
4. The author details how the semisynchronization of Canada’s and the United States’ Immigration Acts (1819-1906) created othered/racialized figures. Explain the author’s argument (1.5 Marks)
5. The author details the legislation/policies that Canada used in the 1980s to create the securitization of refugees as “bogus” entities. Explain the author’s argument (2 Marks)
6. In your opinion, how sustainable is the author’s conclusion that both social security and national security were present in both periods studied (1869-1911 and the mid-1980s)?
a. Does the author provide sufficient evidence to support the claims?
b. Are possible contrary interpretations addressed sufficiently?
Explain your answers. (2 marks)
Part IV: Locating Secondary Sources (5 Marks)
You are required to find, cite and annotate ONE relevant source on the subject of refugees/immigrants and national security in the Canadian context.
The source must be a peer reviewed journal article;
• You must properly cite the source at first mention.
• The quality of the source will be considered in your grade.
• The annotation should be approximately 2 double spaced page
1) Write a concise annotation that:
(a) summarizes the central theme and main arguments of the source,
(b) explains how the article contributes to the discussion of refugees/immigrants and national security in Canada,
(c) evaluates the strengths and weaknesses of the article (i.e. Is the author consistent? Where is the source published? Is it recent? Does it provide you with credible information? Is there anything obvious that jeopardizes its credibility? Is there important information that is missing?).
2) Detail the process used to locate the source: for example, what databases did you use to locate the source, what keywords did you use, how many articles did you find, did you have to refine your search, how did you confirm the article was from a peer-reviewed journal?
Bibliography and Citation (4 marks)
Provide a bibliography (include as a minimum, references to the secondary sources identified in the assignment and any cases/statutes you refer to in your answer) using correct form following the Canadian Guide to Uniform Legal Citation (McGill Guide), 9th Edition.
In addition to your bibliography, ensure that you provide proper footnotes or endnotes using correct form following the Canadian Guide to Uniform Legal Citation (McGill Guide), 9th Edition.
Spelling, Grammar, Writing Style and Structure of Essay (2 Marks)
Pay attention to your writing. Use section headings that correspond to each major part of the assignment (e.g. Part I – Introduction). Make sure that you use complete sentences and have a clear and logical structure. Review, revise and edit your essay to ensure it is free from typographical and grammar mistakes.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS AND INSTRUCTIONS
Title Page: Include a title/cover page with your name and student number, course name and number and Assignment Title.
Spacing and Font: Use double-spacing except for block quotes. Font should be Arial 11 pt or Times New Roman 12 pt with regular page margins. Insert page numbers.
File Format Submit your file in MS Word. Please convert WordPerfect files into MS Word. Do not submit in Mac Pages or as a PDF. This creates conversion and compatibility issues.
File Naming: Name your file using this protocol: your last name and first initial (e.g. SmithD).
File Submission: The assignment must be submitted electronically via Laws 2908 cuLearn Assignment Link. Remember to hit the SUBMIT button!
• Your Summary and Analysis should be no more than 2500 words long (approximately 10 pages). Footnotes or endnotes and the Bibliography are not included in the word count. We will give a ‘grace’ allocation of a further 100 words for headings and cover page. You will lose marks if you go over the word limit (pro-rated at the rate of 1 mark/300 words; so you will lose 0.5 marks if you go over 150 words and 1.5 marks if you go over by 450 words and so forth.
• This word limit may seem long when you begin and short when you get into the assignment, but your ability to discern the most relevant information and to focus your analysis is one of the skills being assessed in this Assignment. Pay attention to the mark allocations as a further guide to allocate your word limit.
• Summarize rather than directly quoting from the article except where you wish to comment on particular phrasing. You must provide correct citations for direct quotations from the article and after lengthy summaries of parts of the article. However you do not have to provide a citation for every individual fact or line you summarize from the article.
Professional homework help features
Our ExperienceHowever the complexity of your assignment, we have the right professionals to carry out your specific task. ACME homework is a company that does homework help writing services for students who need homework help. We only hire super-skilled academic experts to write your projects. Our years of experience allows us to provide students with homework writing, editing & proofreading services.
Free revision policy$10
Free bibliography & reference$8
Free title page$8
How our professional homework help writing services work
You first have to fill in an order form. In case you need any clarifications regarding the form, feel free to reach out for further guidance. To fill in the form, include basic informaion regarding your order that is topic, subject, number of pages required as well as any other relevant information that will be of help.Complete the order form
Once we have all the information and instructions that we need, we select the most suitable writer for your assignment. While everything seems to be clear, the writer, who has complete knowledge of the subject, may need clarification from you. It is at that point that you would receive a call or email from us.Writer’s assignment
As soon as the writer has finished, it will be delivered both to the website and to your email address so that you will not miss it. If your deadline is close at hand, we will place a call to you to make sure that you receive the paper on time.Completing the order and download